Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Back to Reality

What a great break! 12 days of Christmas, quite literally, and it absolutely flew by. Great time with the fam, but unfortunately, it's back to real life. While I was away, I played, I thought, I slept (a lot), and I contemplated where we go next as an industry. Many changes are coming our way to be sure, and if Ray Kurzweil is to be believed, the Singularity is truly near.

Your next project

Technology is changing so rapidly now that I feel like it's a full time job just playing catch-up. With tools like Revit Server coming into maturity, enterprise cloud solutions for email, documents, and storage, and teams growing ever more complex and dispersed, our life is about to change big time.

I though about the challenges we face this year and created a very short list. Some of these aren't new technologies, but on the spectrum of 'Impossible' to 'Required', these just moved into the 'Practical' realm.

  1. Security: Central files based in the cloud (or at least, outside access given to consultants).
  2. Preparedness: Owners finally realizing BIM's potential and turning the screws on those who aren't ready.
  3. Communication: Central files that aren't central files at all, but a data-hub of sorts.
  4. Process: Simulation (energy, logistics, personnel throughput) for high-performance design will become commonplace.
  5. Cost: Subscription-based cloud tools and services (think rendering).

If we make it that far.


This list is by no means complete, but just a series of thoughts I had whilst sipping Egg Nog at my 11am breakfast. Here's to a great 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment